Rectangle is a graphic and interaction design studio based in Glasgow, Scotland and founded by Daniel Powers and Lizzie Malcolm in 2017. We work with information and technology and content and form to develop projects in various media.
We write software, build tools, create archives, design interfaces and explore technologies. Our work is focused on building tools to structure stores of information, and interfaces to access them.
- Test Unit, 10–16 June 2019, Glasgow
A project concerned with debunking the myth of seamlessness or immateriality around data and technology. By exposing or visualising the seams between systems we can reassert our understanding of, and agency within, the technological landscape.
- Archives, March 2019, CCS DetroitOver two days we worked with students to create digital archives using WordPress and custom fields.
- Participatory Web, October 2018, Goldsmiths UniversityAn exploration of online participation, collaboration, and competition.
- Greenpeace @ KABK, September 2018Again with the NLN Master, we directed a workshop to kick off a year long collaboration project with Greenpeace.
- Psychographics, April 2018
A week long workshop at the KABK’s Non Linear Narrative Master. Following the recent investigations into the practices of Cambridge Analytica, we asked students to download their entire Facebook archive. Using a combination of text and image analysis, they designed an interfaces to their dataset, confronting the quantity and intimacy of the information.
- Command & Control, Tech Week, January 2018A workshop examining the proliferation of dashboards and control rooms outwith their traditional domains, and into our everyday lives. In collaboration with Thomas Boland.
Talks + Lectures
- Disentangling Conflict Data at Scale, London, 20 February 2020
- Templeton on the Green, Glasgow, 3 September 2019
- The Whisky Bond, Glasgow, 12 June 2019
- College for Creative Studies, Detroit, 20 March 2019
- Design Theory, GSA, 16 October 2018
- Rectangle & Make Works, Mozilla Festival, London, 29 October 2017
Both Lizzie and Dan taught Interaction Design and Coding in the Non Linear Narrative masters programme at the KABK in The Hague.
Dan previously taught in the Interaction Design department at ArtEZ in Arnhem for 8 years and Lizzie in the bachelor programme for Graphic Design at the KABK for 4 years, as well as the the Communication Design department at the Glasgow School of Art for 2 years.